HERB - List 2 Herbes and Roots for sallets and Sauce

Sharon Nevin koidgath at yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
Thu Jun 11 16:03:12 PDT 1998

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, C. Everett Baskett wrote:

> <snip>
> >This list capers, lemons, olives, oranges, rice, and sampire are
> >apparently (I am not sure for capers and sampire as I do not know these
> >plants) agricultural plants which are too tropical in nature for growth in
> >England.
> >
> >Norman White
> >a.k.a. Jin Liu Ch'ang

Sampire might possibly be samphire although samphire is not an
agricultural plant but a coastal plant. It grows in the U.K particularly
common on Norfolk shingly shores. It stems and stalks (not my wording) can
be used to make pickle (rock samphire I think but don't quote me on which
samphire). The comment may refer to the fact that it is not
agricultural but has to gathered from the sea shore.

Culpeper's herbal lists samphire (rock samphire) and describes it as 'a
safe herb very pleasant both to taste and stomach'.

The word samphire actually describes several old world plants

crithmum maritimum - rock samphire and is described as having fleshy
divided leaves and small yellow flowers

Inula crithmoides - "golden samphire" and is described as having linear
fleshly leaves and daisy-like flower

marsh samphire "glasswort"

Sharon
Barony of Stormhold