HERB - Fighter's Tea

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Thu Jun 11 17:12:40 PDT 1998

Hello!  Welcome to the List!

As to your questions....

Willowbark is essentially aspirin, (anti-inflammatory and pain-killer), so
your fighters are probably very happy afterwards.

> Now I am wondering if the simmering of the willow bark is destroying its
> helpful effects. Should I just steep it a few minutes and leave it at
that?
> The tea has seemed to help them in the past (the post war headaches have
> stopped, too), but of course there could be other factors at work here.

Your technique is fine.  Leaves, flowers, etc. are just steeped. (an
"infusion")  Boiling would, indeed, damage these...or at the very least
result in something rather nasty tasting.  Roots and bark, however, are
"tougher" and need to be simmered to break down the tougher material  and
release the "good stuff".  (a "decoction")

> Anybody have any thoughts on this? And does turning it into iced tea have
> any detrimental or diluting effects?
>
> Thanks all,
> Rowan Oldway of Oakhaven
> Caer Darth, the Mists, West

If you were treating a sore throat, or congestion, or a cough, or a sinus
problem, I'd say serve hot.  For post-tourney aches?  Serve it any way
they'll drink it!  :->  Seriously, there may be less "active ingredient"
per drop, but there'll be the same amount per glass.  (My iced tea is
ALWAYS weaker than my hot...but then I drink bigger glasses of it iced!)
Just remember, it's best not to serve an overheated-fighter something TOO
cold...

By the way, mind if I steal your receipt?

--Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua
Kingdom of the West