HERB - Re: Comfrey -- was chamomile

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Thu Jun 11 16:51:56 PDT 1998

> If you are using Comfrey routinely, you should be aware that the FDA says
> that long-term internal use has been found to cause liver cancer in rats.
>

> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental; HERMS Cyclonus)
>          aka Aunt Bunny, mka Jennifer Heise
> jenne at tulgey.browser.net
>
> "To love in deed and in truth..." (from canonization mass for Jadwiga of
Wawel)

These findings are under debate.  Apparently, the cancer evidence was never
actually found for COMFREY, just for some close relatives...therefore
comfrey must also cause it, right?  But other studies have completely
failed to find any carcinogenic effects of this plant.   (Information
quoted from my recollection of entries in "The New Age Herbal" and a couple
other sources I can't remember just now.  Sorry not to document... :-(...)

On the other hand, we use comfrey because (among other things) it
stimulates cell growth.  (knitting broken bones, etc.)  Cancer is --
essentially -- uncontrolled cell growth.  So I can see how there might be a
connection.

I personally believe the FDA is one of the Three Great Evils of modern life
(haven't decided what the other two are, yet), and that they feel
threatened by the practice of herbalism, and so have tried everything they
can to discredit it.  This is my viewpoint, and so will color my opinions
on such things as the comfrey issue.

I do take comfrey internally, but it is a deliberate decision each time I
use it ("this COULD lead to cancer --- do the benefits outweigh that?") and
I avoid giving it to anyone else.  (On a couple rare occasions I have, but
I educated them first and let them make the decision.)

Stepping off that blasted soap box....

Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua