HERB - List 4 - Strowing Herbes of All Sortes

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Fri Jun 12 06:06:30 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here

As the 3rd list was so short, I am including yet another list.  This list is one close to my heart.  In the great halls of the middles ages, herbs were strown on the floor for various reasons including to improve the aroma of a hall where waste food was thrown to the floor for the dogs.  I want to grow enough herbes to start strewing them as was done in the middle ages.  Maybe I can use them around my camp site at the many camping events here in Ansteorra.  Many are present because they repel insects and here in insect country that would not be all bad.  On the other hand, the site owner may not appreciate it.  Like the other lists I have provided, this is from Tusser.

Strowing Herbes of All Sortes

1. Bassel, fine and busht, sowe in May  2. Baulme, set in March
3. Camamel  4. Costmarie  4. Cousleps and paggles  5. Daisies of all sortes  6. Sweet fennell  7. Garmander  8. Isop, set in February
9. Lavender  10. Lavender spike  11. Lavender cotten  12. Majerom knotted, sowe or set at the spring  13. Mawdelin  14. Penal rial
15. Roses of all sorts, in Januarie and Septmember  16. Red mints
17. Sage  18. Tanzie  19. Violets  20. Winter saverie

Norman White
a.k.a. Jin Liu Ch'ang
gn-white at tamu.edu