HERB - List 4 - Strowing Herbes of All Sortes

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 08:30:46 PDT 1998

Jin Liu,

Thank you!  I've got all of them copied, now I have to figure them all out
<G>.

>Many are present because they repel insects and here in insect country that
>would not be all bad.

Well, the two main pests here in camping are mosquitos and fire ants.  I think
basil is supposed to repel mosquitos, and spearmint (and peppermint),
pennyroyal and tansy are supposed to repel ants.  Sage is supposed to repel
ticks, which could be a problem at some sites, particularly for herbalists who
like to wander the woods.

Which makes me think of a story about one of my husband's squire brothers who
was at Pennsic a few years ago.  He knows more about herbs than almost anyone
I've ever met, and during the woods battle, apparently he started looking
around and got a bit distracted by the plants.  Two hours after the end of the
woods battle, he finally returned to camp, with bundles of herbs tied all over
his belt, really excited over all the things he'd found, and we're not sure he
ever remembered he'd gone into the woods for a battle <G>.  And of course it's
led to a lot of jokes that he's the only person we know who puts on armor to
go on a nature walk.

Raisya