HERB - List 5 of 7 - Herbs etc. for Windows and Pots

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Fri Jun 12 14:02:37 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here

Raisya said:
>Thank you!  I've got all of them copied, now I have to figure them all out

No you do not.  There are 7 lists.

The next one shows we may have more in common with people in the 1500s than we think as it is a list for window plants and those planted in pots.  Are you ready for a period flower garden?  Well this is the list for you.  Many of these plants are still in flower gardens, some I have never heard of until I started this list.  Again this list is from Tusser.

Herbes, Branches, and Flowers, for Windows and Pots

1. Baies, sowe or set in plants in Januarie  2. Batchelers buttons
3. Botles, blew, red, and tawnie  4. Collembines  5. Campions
6. Cousleps  7. Daffadondilles  8. Eglantine, or sweet brier  9. Fetherfew
10. Flower armor sowe in May  11. Flower de luce  12. Flower gentle, white and red  13. Flower nice  14. Gileflowers, red, white and carnations, set in spring, and at Harvest in pots, pailes or tubs, or for sommer in beds  15. Holiokes, red, white and carnations  16. Indian eie, sowe in May, or set in slips in March  17. Lavender of all sorts
18. Larkes foot  19. Laus tibi  20. Lillium cum valium  21. Lillies, red and white, sowe or set in March and September  22. Marigolds double
23. Nigella Romana  24. Pauncies or hartesease  25. Paggles, greene and yelow  26. Pinkes of all sorts  27. Queenes gilleflowers  28. Rosemarie
29. Roses of all sorts  30. Snag dragons  31. Sops in wine  32. Sweet Williams  33. Sweet Johns  34. Star of Bethelem  35. Star of Jerusalem
36. Stocke gilleflowers of all sorts  37. Tuft gilleflowers  38. Velvet flowers, or french Marigolds 39. Violets, yellow and white  40. Wall gilleflowers of all sorts.

This list has a feature which puzzles me.  From the list, I would come to the decision that carnations, at this period, referred to some feature of flowers rather than a certain variety of flower.  Is this correct?

Norman White
a.k.a. Jin Liu Ch'ang