HERB - Dogs

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Jun 16 07:21:28 PDT 1998

>DR. PITCAIRN'S COMPLETE GUIDE TO NATURAL HEALTH FOR DOGS AND CATS
 using Dog Chow or Pedigree mixed with "human" food, plus
vegetable oil supplements, chicken skin, hamburger grease. >

It is a good book, I have it and some others.  I have tried the oil
additive diet, and the results are she gets extremely oily skin, but no
relief.  She gets so oily that she is almost slick to touch.  (Yuck) I
finally took her off of the lamb and rice diet for this reason, and the
fact that our pit-beagle was putting on way too much weight due to
cross-bowl feeding.
	And it's not just skin.  She has a chronic problem with her ears,
which I can eventually clear up with salicyllic acid liquid.  She also
gets eye gunk when that's flaring up, but that is pretty easy to see the
connection, and when the ears are better, so are the eyes.  I have
learned that these are genetic problems inherited from one of the
original 8 sharpeis used for breeding in the United States.  One of the 8
had what was described as "an excruciating skin disease",  which seems
pretty well descriptive of the problem Jester faces.  (She was a
foundling, someone saw her sitting at at bus stop in Macon, Ga, and
brought her to Fool's War to find her a home. )  She is a sweet dog, and
very smart, and it just hurts our hearts to see her suffer during the
summertime so.  She's about 5 1/2, and this stuff gets worse every year.
Anybody else have any suggestions?
	Yours in service to the Canine Americans in my household,
	Christianna