HERB - Mint, yet again!

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Jun 17 05:48:43 PDT 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:
> One wonders... have we become more wimpy as a species? Or have the bugs gotten
> stronger? I KNOW that our primitive ancestors didn't all die from eating meat
> they'd stored in a cold lake... otherwise we wouldn't be eating meat
> now..Right?

It's not that we are in general more wimpy-- Influenza now kills very few
people. It's that the bugs we are acclimatized to are different. We'd die
of smallpox, but many of those who got it in period certainly didn't.

Certainly the spread of factory farming has contributed to the widespread
instances of Salmonellosis, as have bulk food handling procedures. There
may be more Salmonella around in large quantities in specific places than
there was when I was a kid. But it seems to me that the more paranoid the
precautions we take against it, the more likely it is that people who are
exposed to it for the first time might be very very sick.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental; HERMS Cyclonus)
         aka Aunt Bunny, mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"To love in deed and in truth..." (from canonization mass for Jadwiga of Wawel)