HERB - Herbs and Old Meat

Margaret margaret at premier.net
Tue Jun 23 19:06:49 PDT 1998

sunshinegirl wrote:

> So let's pull it on topic.  I have been told that certain peppers, spices,
> and herbs were used in cooking meat to help disguise the spoiled meat
> taste.  How true is this?  What types of herbs were used?  Were they used
> to preserve, as well as flavor?
>
> Melandra of the Woods

  Very true.  That's why black pepper was so very valuable.  It was the first
"spice" used to disguise the taste of meat "turning off" in flavor.  Any other
strong tasting spice would work, too.  Cinnimon and ginger were also very
popular in cooking meat.  Gives it a very...."interesting"....taste.  You can't
figure out if the meat has gone bad, or what.

                Margaret Rose

    "Build your castle in the air, and build it well.  But first build the
strong foundation"