HERB - Hungary water

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 22:22:15 PDT 1998

Claire,

>Add 1 oz. lavender, 1 oz. rosemary and 1/2 oz. mytle to 1 quart of
>good brandy. Steep the herbs for at least 1 week in the brandy and then
>distill or strain.

Since this says "steep the herbs" I assume this is fresh or dried herbs?
Lavender would be the flowers, but what about the rosemary?  Flowers or
leaves?  And I know nothing about myrtle (a bush or tree, I think?)

Hm, chemistry was never my best subject, does steeping the herbs in the
alcohol extract the scent by itself?  And it can simply be strained?

Interesting, but this reminds me a lot of a recipe for a Scottish handwater
called Dames' water.  It calls for thyme, lavender and rosemary, and has
similar instructions.

Thanks!
Raisya