HERB - Re: Comfrey -- was chamomile

Lughnasa@aol.com Lughnasa at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 04:10:21 PDT 1998

>  >
>  >What condition do you use this cream for?  I am looking for something
>  >to ease my poor little black dog's terrible skin problems.
>
>  I had a dog that passed away in November, had the same problems.   I
>  borrowed a book from a friend called
>  DR. PITCAIRN'S COMPLETE GUIDE TO NATURAL HEALTH FOR DOGS AND CATS
>  .Vets will tell you to feed your dog ONLY dog food, but this book talks
>  about taking regular food and making meals for your dog.   i don't have
>  the time to  cook for my dogs, but I followed a lot of his philosophy
>  using Dog Chow or Pedigree mixed with "human" food, plus vegetable oil
>  supplements, chicken skin, hamburger grease.   I know this sounds kind of
>  gross, but I had another dog that was losing her hair, and since I have
>  been feeding my dogs this way, her hair has grown back very thick, and
>  none of my dogs has skin problems.   My old dog, I tried everything short
>  of steroids, just like you did, but only until I changed her diet ( a
>  good quality dog food plus the above supplements) did her condition
>  change,  However she had
>  breast cancer, which finally got the best of her, but her hair was
>  growing back, and her skin wasn't as itchy.   A lot of people would say
>  the fat isn't good for the dogs, but as long as they stay active, I
>  wouldn't worry.   The book also talks about allergies and pollution
>  factors.   It's an excellent book, and I highly recommend it.   By
>  practice, I can see what he is talking about.  i just wish I had known of
>  it sooner.  Pooky might have lived longer if I had known of this.
>  How old is your dog, and what kind of food do you give her?
>
>  Keep her on the brewer's yeast, garlic and E, and try an oatmeal shampoo,
>  which will help soothe her skin.  Stick to anything natural as medicated
>  soaps are not good for the skin.   Tea Tree oil shampoo and spray is also
>  good, found at Petsmart.   Also will help kill bacteria.  Keep feeding
>  the lamb food, but mix with canola oil until well coated, usually two
>  tablespoons per meal, and if you are resistant to feeding her chicken
>  skin or any kind of meat grease,  fish oil softgels or flaxseed softgels
>  will work.   Give at least two a day.  this supplies the Omega-3 fatty
>  acids that will help her skin not be so dry and itchy.  And if you can,
>  feed her some fresh vegetables, raw.  carrots are good for cleaning
>  teeth.   My dogs won't eat them, but they love to chew on broccoli stalks
>  or cucumber peelings.   Brown rice or pinto beans are also good to cook
>  and add to the dog food.   Avoid sugar snacks or junk food leftovers,
>  just good healthy food that you would eat.  Let me know if you get the
>  book, and how things work out.   I know it is frustrating to see your dog
>  in such misery, but I have changed my dogs' diet, and they are healthier
>  than they have ever been.
>  RIP, Pooky.
>

>  Raven

> [...]
  I believe I missed a post.
  I'm a pet nutrition couselor, so I figured I'd add my 2 pence.
  There is a genetic condition that was recently identified in Australian
Shepherds which causes them to chew constantly.  It seems to be related to
certain proteins.  It becomes worse when a female goes into heat, especially
for the males.  This can, of course be alleviated by neutering/spaying.
  I have found that with my animals (I raise Aussies) this chewing is
definitely tied to diet as well.  I found a small dog food manufaturer (called
Lundquist) out of Tracy, CA with a ration based largely on chicken.  Since
then, nearly every premium brand has come out with a chicken formula.  I've
tried many of them.  My old man (the most sensitive) reacted with almost all
of them.  I just found one from, of all places, Trader Joe's.  So far, he
seems to be doing fine.  Though I am still mixing in some of the Lundquist.
   If you're experimenting, I'd recomend peanut over canola oil.  Just a
little bit more "nutritionally complete".  Garlic, brewer's yeast, etc. all
good.  Also, simple boiled, DEBONED chicken and rice is nearly a complete meal
for dogs (humans too).  Waltham (the research group that designed Pedigree)
has a great lamb and rice formula for skin probs.  I think their chicken
formula is out, now, too.  You can get it from PetsMart, Petco, or vets.

    Hope This Helps,  (and doesn't overload any pc's.  sorry)
      Kris