HERB - tannins in plants

melc2newton@juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Fri Jun 26 17:58:18 PDT 1998

For a little background to this quest, A friend and I are working on
making and playing a couple of bladder pipes for Queen's Prize tourney
next March. Why? It's the adventure of the thing! (so our husbands think
we've gone insane) Anyways, Par, over on the sca cooks list, has
suggested a way to tan the pig bladders by over boiling a plant (like
tea) and using the liquid. Does anyone have any suggestions on
documentation on medieval tanning techniques/plants that were used. Also,
any sources, secondary or primary that we could use Inter-library loan to
look at, would be really helpful.
beatrix