HERB - Timeline of Food

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 01:30:37 PDT 1998

 >Hops introduced to England from Artois			1525
>
>  Does this mean that England didn't have beer before that date???? I
>  thought it was much older than that. Does anyone have any information?

I guess technically it does. Enblish ales used a "Grut" compounded of several
different herbs, everybody having their "own secret recipe". Herbs such as
ground ivy (alehoof) bog myrtle, costmary and thyme were used,a handful of
this, a handfull of that. Hops far from being unknown, were considered a
contental weed as far as ale was concerned in pre 1500 England.

Corwyn