HERB - tannins in plants

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Fri Jun 26 19:22:55 PDT 1998

Although not specifically period documentation, the Foxfire books contain
many techniques that were in use in period, and have been handed down for
generations.   _Foxfire 3_  contains information on hide tanning.  Hardwood
ashes and water was commonly used to take the hair off--It makes a lye
solution.  Liquid lye soap was used.  To tan, the bark of  chestnut oak or
white oak was used.   Another method calls for the using the brains of the
dead animal.   Alum and salt may also be used for thin skins, also a strong
tea made of oak bark and alum. After tanning, which could take anywhere
from a couple of days to a year, depending on size and method, the skins
were worked and/or oiled to make them pliable.  I can tell you more if you
want to email me.  Another source of basic how to is the Boy Scout merit
badge pamphlet on Leatherwork tells how to home tan leather,  and Tandy
Leather stores have tanning kits.  Hope this helps.

Melandra of the Woods