HERB - herbs of the week

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Jun 30 11:32:15 PDT 1998

melandra of the woods asked:
>Does this mean it dies completely in the winter?  Or does it just go
>dormant until spring?  This is the first time I have ever planted Basil and
>not had snails eat it up.  Should I bring it in for the winter or will it
>come back in the spring if I leave it in my garden?

I have books that disagree as to whether basil is an annual or
a perenial so tender as to effectively be labeled an annual.
The only way that I've been able to keep basil alive from year
to year is to keep it in an official greenhouse. And even that
was a little tender.

Unless someone else here knows more and can suggest something,
I vote for harvesting your plant's seeds and replanting the
following year. (Or buying new seeds and replanting.)

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim