HERB - herbs of the week

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 30 12:25:48 PDT 1998

 Basil's pretty much a warm weather plant. We nurtured one over the winter
and it survived but it looked and tasted pretty pitiful.  It's so easy and
cheap down here in Ansteorra that I just replant it.  Plus they always have
new varieties that I want to try.  I love the cinnamon basil alot.  And the
"red Rubin" variety made beautiful herbal vinegar.

I think the Isabella and the Pot of Basil may be from the Decameron... I
have a copy floating around and can look it up... If not there's a
Victorian poem about it as well.

Thanks Raisya for the info on the basil.... I like lemon and lime basil
enought to think that it must be medieval.

Clare