HERB - documenting herbs for treating epilepsy?

Diana Habra dch at inreach.com
Fri May 1 00:23:42 PDT 1998

> The Culpeper's Color Herbal as sold by the SCA Stockclerk indeed has
> an
> index by disease state. Epilepsy is listed under 'falling-sickness'
> and
> lists betony (wood), bryony, cinquefoil, cowslip, dittany(white),
> fennel(sow or hogs), garlic, heart's ease, hellebore(black), hyssop,
> juniper tree, lavender, lily of the valley, lime tree, masterwort,
> mistletoe, mustard(black), paeony, pellitory of Spain, plantain,
> poplar(black), rosemary, sage(common garden), thorn-apple, and violet.
> did not check this extensive list with the text to pull primary
> plants.

Well, gosh darn it, I did!!  I have been lurking on this list from the
West just seeing what you guys talk about.  Well, now you have my
curiosity piqued so I did some looking and here is what I found:

cinquefoil--no evidence to support its use for epilepsy/seizures
cowslip--no evidence
hellebore--no evidence
fennel--has been scientifically proven to have antispasmodic properties
garlic--has antispasmodic properties
heartsease--no evidence
hyssop--good for respiratory problems, not an antispasmodic
juniper--no evidence
lavender--a sedative, but no proof for antispasmodic properties
(although some people believe it has them)
lilly of the valley--no evidence
cow parsnip--no evidence and be careful if you pick it because it looks
like hemlock!!
mistletoe--is a sedative but has been deemed unsafe for consumption by
the FDA
plantain--no evidence
black poplar--no evidence
rosemary--has antispasmodic properties
sage--no evidence
thorn apple--is an antispasmodic but it has been deemed POISONOUS by the
FDA
violet--no evidence

**valerian--is a sedative and an antispasmodic

I starred the valerian because I was told that valerian is the origin of
Valium, a known sedative and anti-seizure drug.  However, I was also
told by my herbalist that it smells and tastes like "three day old baby
vomit" so it doesn't sound very appealing.

If you are asking merely for information's sake, then hopefully you got
what you were looking for.  If you are actually thinking of taking some
herbal remedies to treat epilepsy/seizures, I would advise against it.
You don't really know how much you would have to take to treat it, and
as far as I know, the current anti-seizure medicines on the market do
not have herbal counterparts (except the Valium).  I know it stinks, but
sometimes modern medicine is the only way to go......

Hope this helps!

Roseline d'Anjou
West Kingdom Chirurgeon
(and who works mundanely as an ER nurse)