HERB - documenting herbs for treating epilepsy?

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Fri May 1 08:17:43 PDT 1998

I did a bit more digging in Culpeper last night and came it also has a
listing for convulsions:
Asparagus
Bay Tree
Betony(wood)
Bryony
Calamint
Centaury
Chickweed
Cowslip
Down or Cotton-thistle
Fleur-de-lys (garden or blue)
Garlic
Gentian (Autumn)
Gladwin
Heart's Ease
Hellebore (Black)
Honeysuckle
Juniper Tree
Lavender
Lettuce (Great Wild)
Lily of the Valley
Marsh Mallow
Mistletoe
Motherwort
Mullein (great)
Southernwood
Thorn-apple

Obviously some overlap with the previous group (which makes sense).

The index also has a section "Illnesses and their modern herbal
treatments". It lists for convulsions Jessamine and Paeony, and for
epilepsy Dittany(White), Fennel, Hellebore(Black), Kidneywort, Mistletoe,
Nightshade(common), and Paeony. Please not the poisonous nature of many of
these herbs!

I know the original post was requesting "information only", but I echo the
disclaimer that seizure disorders can be life-threatening, and need proper
Medical Supervision (TM).

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham