HERB - Re:HERB- documenting

Diana Habra dch at inreach.com
Fri May 1 10:13:15 PDT 1998

Dear list,

I realize now that I didn't write the source for my earlier post on
herbs for epilepsy/seizures.  The text is:

Reader's Digest
Magic and Medicine of Plants
c. 1986
ISBN-0-89577-221-3
retail cost $27.95

I bought this book several years ago at a Barnes and Noble and I SWEAR
by it as an herb reference.  It has a large number of herbs listed and
includes not only a correct drawing of the herb, but a photograph as
well.  It is organized such that it gives the historical uses of the
herb in paragraph form to give you some background.  Then it describes
the habitat, range, how to identify it (botany-wise), and its uses.  In
the "Uses" section, it tells what people use the herb for and if there
is any scientific basis for the use.  And example would be hyssop.  The
book says that traditionally, hyssop was used for respiratory problems.
It then states "Pharmacologists state that hyssop probably does act as a
demulcent, a substance soothing th the mucous membrances, and this may
explain its effectiveness in alleviating respiratory problems."

If I sound preachy, I am not trying to be.  I just think that this is a
GREAT all-around herb book and would highly recommmend it to anyone
interested in herbology.  And while I love the history of herbs, I am a
little too grounded in science (being a medical professional) to not try
to confirm their uses pharmacologically ;~>.

Roseline