HERB - Garlic

RAISYA RAISYA at aol.com
Sun May 3 20:25:23 PDT 1998

I've had a difficult time getting accurate planting dates for anything for
this area, so last year, I tried an experiment.  I left two bulbs of garlic in
the ground in different areas of the garden when they died back in early
summer to find out when garlic sproutw naturally here.  Both came up in late
November/early December, and have developed into nice clumps.

Mistress Christiana

>Divide the cloves, and plant all of them, even the ones that haven't
>sprouted, (unless they are dried up, hollow, or real moldy).  Plant them
>about 4-6 inches deep and stand back, they will put up long stalks with
>very pretty balls of purpleish white flowers.

What variety of garlic are you planting? I've read that some varieties do, but
never which varieties.  None of mine do.

I was also wondering why you plant it that deep?  I'd been told that aliums
did fine with shallow planting, and I've been planting my garlic just deep
enough to cover the top of the clove without any problems.  Just curious.

Genevieve,

>Also, what are the particulars to light, water ....

Garlic needs some direct sunlight, though I've had plants that were mostly
shaded do fine.  An inch of rain or a good watering once a week is usually a
good rule of thumb.

Raisya