HERB - Garlic

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun May 3 20:45:48 PDT 1998

>>about 4-6 inches deep and stand back, they will put up long stalks
>with very pretty balls of purpleish white flowers.

>What variety of garlic are you planting? I've read that some varieties
>do, but never which varieties.  None of mine do.
I have had success with both the 'Elephant Garlic' (much bigger flower
stalks and bulbs, some almost 4-5 feet tall), and also with the bulbs
leftover from the grocery store that sprouted and got planted.  Both put
out the balls of flowers, equally garlicky scented (one has visions of
Lucy's bedroom scene in "Dracula").

>I was also wondering why you plant it that deep?  I'd been told that
>aliums did fine with shallow planting, and I've been planting my garlic
just  deep enough to cover the top of the clove without any problems.
Just  curious.

Anti- Squirrell Theft Prevention Depth!! (Actually they do just fine with
shallow planting, if I can get the darn rodents with furry tails to leave
my bulbs alone!!!)
	What area of the country do you live in?  I have noticed that
normal plants thrive to their largest potential here in the not-quite
sub-tropical south.  (=Atlanta. Let's not even talk about Kudzu!)
Mistress Christianna