HERB - Garlic

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 4 06:49:07 PDT 1998

 My garlic seems to have a mind of it's own.... I planted some and it all
came up.  I had accidently left a bulb unplanted and it came up and rooted
itself downwardso it grew as well.  Bryn Gwlad (Austin, Texas) squirrels
only prefer roasted garlic since they leave my plants alone but stole some
garlic I had roasted on the hibachi.  My plants are currently sending up
bloom stalks and I really like them for landscape paintings.

Kudzu doesn't grow in Bryn Gwlad.  the only plant I've seen is small and
behaves itself very well.  Any Allium loves the soil though.  If it's an
onion it will grow.  We have heavy clay soil, very rich, very dark, very
akaline.  I've slowly been composting the area I grow things in but I've
slowly been taken over by shade.  My growing area gets smaller and smaller.
I can always still grow lemon balm though *sigh*

Speaking of growing things.  What's eveyone's favorite herb to grow.  My
used to be lemon balm.

Clare