HERB - the period pumpkin

RAISYA RAISYA at aol.com
Sun May 3 22:34:23 PDT 1998

Agnes,

I've felt the edible gourd theory for the medieval pumpkin is a little shaky,
I guess, because the "authorities" never seem to be proposing a specific
gourd.  I'm also not entirely convinced that they can state with absolute
certainty that none of the four species of "squash" existed in Europe.  There
is one variety of C. maxima that is said to be native to Australia.  If it's
true, then squash were not absolutely limited to the New World.

I do appreciate all the information I've gotten here, but I think I have to
conclude that the "pompion" is still an unknown.

Raisya Khorivovna