HERB - Garlic

RAISYA RAISYA at aol.com
Sun May 3 22:36:16 PDT 1998

Mistress Christianna,

>I have had success with both the 'Elephant Garlic'...

Then I may get to see blooms after all, I'm growing elephant garlic for the
first time this year.  My mainstay is California White garlic, but I've got a
couple of "mystery" varieties from the grocery store too.  I don't think
they're common varieties, though.

>Anti- Squirrell Theft Prevention Depth!!

OK, I knew there had to be some reason <G>.  I haven't had any squirrel
problems, and my catnip plants attract the neighborhood cats who remove any
mice or voles who make a nuisance of themselves.

I live near Houston, Texas.  I'm not sure if we're sub-tropical or not, but
it's pretty close to it.  I kept tender plants alive in the ground all last
winter without too much work.    I garden all year long, which is nice in most
ways, but sometimes, I'd like a month off <G>.  I don't want to talk about
Kudzu either (nasty plant, overran my canteloupes while I was at Pennsic last
year.)  Or fire ants.

I'd have to say that some things certainly do overachieve here.  Biennials
particularly, a lot of them can be planted in the fall and bloom in 6 months
or so. Of course, we won't talk about the seedlings that get pounded into the
ground by torrential rains.

I guess my "favorite" disaster was the neighbor's basset hound that got into
our fenced yard last spring and proceeded to wreck havoc.  He dug up some new
transplants, then rolled on the spinach patch.  It was just ready to cut, and
I didn't get a single bite.  Any idea how hard it is to grow spinach here?
<G>

Raisya Khorivovna