HERB - Herbal Pest Repellants

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Mon May 4 18:51:17 PDT 1998

> From: Christine A Seelye-King <mermayde at juno.com>
> To: herbalist at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: HERB - Herbal Pest Repellants
> Date: Monday, May 04, 1998 1:40 PM

> Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies wrote

> 	How about discussing herbal pest and rodent deterrants?

My mother taught me years ago to store the freshest Bay Laurel leaves I
could find (the same ones you use to mak soup) with my woolens to keep away
moths.  When I've done this, I've never had moth holes and it smells SO
much better than (toxic) moth balls.  (Yes, I know, the cedar thing is more
common, but there are times I find leaves more convenient than wood.)

Also, ants (who travel by scent) won't cross a line of black pepper.  The
smell confuses them.  I've used this several times to keep them from coming
into my home without using poison (which doesn't agree with the cats).
(pour the pepper into the hole they're using, put tape over it)

Eat garlic before you go out (and drink dark beer) to keep the mosquito's
away.  They don't like the garlic smell (or the smell the B-vitamins in the
dark beer give your skin)

The best rodent deterrent I know of is black, whiskered, & answers to
Piewacket...although Sundance might run a close second once he's fixed &
gets to go out! :-)

Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers, Principality of Cynagua, West Kingdom