HERB - Rosemary Cuttings

RAISYA RAISYA at aol.com
Mon May 4 19:42:04 PDT 1998

Mistress Christiana,

>>producing new plants from cuttings is challenging without being frustrating.
<snip>
>I have yet to master that particular challenge.  My cuttings always die.
>What is your secret?

I don't know, exactly.  I do know that I had poor luck with the cuttings I
took in mid- September and excellent luck with the ones I took in very early
November, and then again in late January through early February.  All I did
was fill 6" clay pots with a mix of compost and peat with a little wood ash,
cut branch tips about 5 - 7" long, stripped the leaves from the bottom inch,
stuck 2 cuttings in each pot, then watered them every day.  I set them where
they got about 3 hours of direct sun until they rooted (about 8 weeks).  I
don't think anything I did was unusual, I didn't even give them manure tea
until they had taken root.  The only real difference was that the September
cuttings were exposed to hotter temperatures than the later cuttings.  The
cuttings seem to need a lot of watering to take root, but they also seem to do
best with good drainage after transplant to the garden.

I don't know if that's any help or not, I hope so.  However, I should admit
here that I've been caught talking to my plants, and a couple of friends are
convinced I know them all by name <G>.

Raisya