HERB - Herbal Pest Repellants

RAISYA RAISYA at aol.com
Mon May 4 19:43:18 PDT 1998

Mistress Christiana,

First, thank you for the info from HERBS FOR THE MEDIAEVAL HOUSEHOLD, I
haven't seen that before, and it's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

> I have tried using pennyroyal baths on my dogs to treat for fleas, but I
>haven't had much success with that (or with chemicals, for that matter).
>What else has worked for folks?

A dog-breeder friend told me that brewer's yeast helps get rid of fleas on
dogs.

>And then there's the sacrifices, lovely, plump, dead chipmunks and mice,
voles, >moles, and the occasional rat, brought to my doorstep, with love and
purrs, >courtesy of your friendly cat, Just to let you know I'm holding up my
end of the >bargain here,...

Well, I don't have a cat currently, but I grow catnip which seems to be a
pretty effective pest deterrent.  The neighborhood cats visit the patch, and I
regularly find "sacrifices" within a few feet of the catnip patch.  I lose one
or two young plants a year to a cat rolling on it, but usually they limit
themselves to demolishing the catnip.  They seem to help deter the birds from
the strawberry patch too.

Hm, herbal pest deterrents.  Well, I haven't really tested them out much.  I
know basil's supposed to help deter mosquitos, lavender's supposed to help
deter moths, and most insects are supposed to dislike garlic.  I think human
hair is supposed to deter rabbits (not an herbal deterrent, but the same
idea).  Bay leaves in wheat to keep out weevils.  Those are the only ones that
come to mind right off.

Raisya