HERB - Herbal Pest Repellants

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue May 5 06:59:43 PDT 1998

Mistress Christianna MacGrain wrote:
>How about discussing herbal pest and rodent deterrants? [....]
>I recall someone posting that they were growing pennyroyal and
>thyme (? the first I 've heard of using thyme)  to
>strew around their pavillion at war, that sort of thing.

That would be me. Pleased to meet you all.

Thyme, as I remember it from a couple of herbals, can be used much
in the same way as lavender flowers in the preservation of linens.
It has also been used in history to keep away gnats and mosquitos.
If I remember my sources correctly too, varied species of thyme have
been used in Spain, Portugal, and West Africa for the same effects.

I seem to remember a couple of very specific lists of herbs that
were used for strewing in various homes in the Netherlands or England
(perhaps lists of accounts or purchases) but I don't recall those
source names off hand. Anyone?

The antiseptic power of Thymol is enough to convince me that I want
to have some around to hedge my bets, so to speak, against the
various ills associated with 10000+ people camping in one place.
I've not yet had any of The Plagues and I don't plan to. :)

Cheers,

Jasmine
jasmine at infoengine.com

{I'm cursing myself at this point for not remembering names of my
sources and seriously considering buying doubles of all my books
so I can have them on my desk here at work. Forgive me. If anyone
wants an OOP source, Grieve's Modern Herbal should have some of
the history online at the http://www.botanical.com/ website.}