HERB - Fleas

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Wed May 6 09:58:50 PDT 1998

Mistress Cristianna asked:
>What is the difference between human fleas and dog and cat fleas (or rat
>fleas, for that matter?) The dog variety doesn't seem to be too picky
>on who they bite!

According to the local library reference desk and the nearest
veterinarian I could find in the phone book, the variety of flea
that infests most (95%) pets, humans, houses, and rodents within the
United States is called _Ctenocephalides felis_ or the cat flea.

Dog fleas are called _Ctenocephalisdes canis_ and are mainly found
in Europe. They look very much the same as cat fleas with one major
distinguishing feature: dog fleas have a shorter front tooth than
cat fleas.

The fleas you find on rats in the United States are almost always
cat fleas.

Jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
jasmine at infoengine.com

PS> I'm working on an appropriate response to Lady Allison's
moths in the cupboards and books question. Work work work is keeping
me busy. I'll see if I can respond properly by this evening.

PPS> I don't have any commercial interest in the site I recommended;
just happened across it during a web search. I don't live anywhere
near Dallas/Fort Worth.