HERB - Moths, spiders, etc

Sara Harless evaine at glenmar.com
Thu May 7 11:55:28 PDT 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Gaylin Walli wrote:

> Sara wrote:
> >As for herbs, I have found hedge apples to be very good spider and
> >creepy-crawly deterrents. I put them in the window sills. They don't seem
> >to mold or rot, they just kind of dry up over the summer and fall. It
> >really cut down on the inside bug population.
>
> Hedge Apple? (jasmine cruises through her meager references at
> work and finds nothing) Same thing as Osage Orange, right? Maclura
> something as part of the botanical name. pomifera? A new world plant,
> as I remember it. Bummer.

Duh...It's definitely my Hoosier accent. <grin> If it is Osage Orange, I
know some bow makers who will want this info. I'll see if I can contact
my forestry-type friend tonight. I will see her Monday at the weekly
barony meeting for sure and can ask then.

> You know what I really wish we had? A comprehensive reference of
> plants that are listed in original source material and any other
> period source material, including a listing of their current
> botanical and any previous botanicals they might have had. Anyone
> know of one?

I smell a project here. This would be a big help to those of us (me) who
are just starting our remedial plant education. Not even hard, just a
standard cross-referenced index listing with two or three sort keys and a
notes field. Does anyone know if such a thing exists either in whole or in
part? Surely someone has needed this type of info before. Or I can build
it from scratch if you good gentles will supply the raw data. (Did I just
type what I think I just typed?) Oh, dear, here we go again. <vbg> So much
for retirement!

> jasmine de cordoba, Midrealm

MidRealm? Where? I'm in the Barony of Rivenstar, that's West Lafayette, IN.

Sara/Evaine