HERB - Goddess Evaine

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Thu May 7 15:11:00 PDT 1998

> >I've built many databases both for myself and for my before-retirement
> >employer, GTE.
>
> YEAH! Evaine is a Goddess! Go Evaine! Go Evaine!

I'LL SECOND THAT!!!!

> >To start, I would need to know database fields [....] 4) notes on
> >historical and modern references and uses.
>
> This is the part that scares me most. There are *TONS* of
> references like this that are published (a few of them
> are searchable and online). I'd hate to repeat that kind of
> work in full. I'd rather lean more towards accurate notes on
> uses as we can *document* them, and thus avoid "My granny told
> me that..." problems.

My take on what we're trying to do here is cross-reference the period
sources with a) the modern plant (scientific & common names) and b) some
BRIEF modern "documentation"  (quick summery of what scientists think, not
what my grandmother taught me to do.)   I'm pretty much picturing something
where I can take a plant I know & find out what they thought of it in
period, or go look up that obscure-sounding ingredient in my period receipt
for cough syrup to find out what the gleep it is.  I do not see it as being
a substitute for the books currently on my shelves.  Is this (sort-of) what
we're all seeing here?

> >What else do you want?
>
> Safety info?

YES!  An absolute must, as many (bitter almonds, anyone?  Cherry stones?
They're both period....) are quite poisonous, and certain others can have
side effects.  There are also some that the FDA considers "dangerous" --
whether or not current research actually confirms their position.  I think
these should carry a "warning label" also just to protect our collective
butts.

>Is it listed in a current British, American, or
> German pharmacopia-type lists? What's the most recent research and
> how does that research tie back to the (pre)period references in their
> accuracy? :)

I think I saw something like this in the University California Davis
library several years ago...time to do some research....

> Just remember: you're not crazed. This is my fault. I mentioned
> it. You can place all the blame on me. :)
>
> Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
> jasmine at infoengine.com

Actually, Jasmine, I think we're all crazed! :-)
Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua
Kingdom of the West