HERB - Aloe Question

Diana Habra dch at inreach.com
Thu May 7 15:43:32 PDT 1998

Katherine Blackthorne wrote:

> Well, in the few weeks I've been on this list, it's begun to feel more
> &
> more like a conversation the women in my family might have if we all
> got
> together in funny clothes over a pot of mint tea.

Dear Katherine and List,

I feel similarly about this list.  I almost feel like we ARE chatting
around a nice spot of tea.  And I really am enjoying the amount of
mature, informational conversation that is going on here (I haven't seen
one BIT of snarkiness yet!).  And some of the humor you guys have shared
has brightened up my days.

And now I have a favor to ask.  Does anyone know how to successfully
reduce fresh aloe juice so that it is storable for a period of time?  I
have extracted the juices and kept them in my refrigerator for a while,
but they last only for maybe a month at a time.  I have also tried
cooking/reducing it only to have it come out a medium brown,
yucky-looking color.  So if anyone has done this successfully or has any
suggestions, I would be grateful.

(By the way, I have a fresh aloe plant at home that I can use as
necessary for burns and whatnot, but I really would like to be able to
make it into a cream or something that I could carry with me when I
camp.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Roseline

P.S.  Katherine, did you know that we are neighbors?!!  I live in
Roseville, CA (no pun intended) so if you ever need to chat with someone
nearby about herb stuff, let me know!