HERB - Re: sources and names

snev2@student.monash.edu.au snev2 at student.monash.edu.au
Thu May 7 19:59:43 PDT 1998

> Does anyone have a copy of or has anyone read:
>
> "Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden: An Illustrated Companion
> to Medieval Plants and Their Uses" by Robin Whiteman, Rob
> Talbot, Ellis 'Brother Cadfael chronicles' Peters
>
> If you have, how accurate is the information? Do you like
> the book? Do you find it useful or simply good to have
> handy on the shelf? Anything truly aweful about it?
>
> Just curious. :)

I have this book both because I like Brother Cadfael books and love
herbals. The book is very attractive to look at with colour
photographs, very specky. The information in it is fairly good
although limited.
The first ? chapter has brief history of herbals and herbalism.
I can't remeber what the second chapter is of is what I think the
first chapter the second ?
Anyway, that actual plants listing are plants that are mentioned in
the Brother Cadfael books with the appropriate quote. A general
description of what the plant is and used for. many of the entries
are accompanied by photos of the plant although as stated not
necessarily the exact species (?). i enjoy looking at because it is
just beautifully illustrated and fairly accurate in what it does say.

It is more abook to look through then a real reference book. All
the plant names are modernised - oh, the latin names are listed too.
It doesn't tell you how to make things tisanes etc.

It does have a good (albeit short) bibliography, a good history, the
dust cover on the hardback is actually a picture of part of Brother
Cadfaels workshop at the Shrewsbury - (oh dear I forgotten
what its called it is diffneately one of those mornings).

If you like as an example I could type I plant entry in and send it
to the list when I get home after dance practice tonight. And do a
proper review. (I had a very stressful morning and apologise for any
incoherance).

Sharon Nevin
College of St Monica
Barony of Stormhold