HERB - Re: sources and names

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 8 13:02:30 PDT 1998

>I have this book both because I like Brother Cadfael books and love
>herbals. The book is very attractive to look at with colour
>photographs, very specky. The information in it is fairly good
>although limited. *******The information that is herbal, for the most part
>comes from Culpeppers... It's a nice book (Cadfael book) but it's nice
>meant to be a reference book.  Just a pretty herbal.  I think it's very
>nice and own a copy of it.... I read somewhere that the Culpeppers is
>still in use in third world countries as a medical text.

>It is more abook to look through then a real reference book. All
>the plant names are modernised - oh, the latin names are listed too.
>It doesn't tell you how to make things tisanes etc. ****I agree. I thought
>it was odd that they would talk about plant and then show another of tthe
>same family.  I think poppies is a good example... they talked about one
>and showed a more ornamental variety.  Very odd.  I did like the quotes....

It does explain why they built the garden at Shrewsbury... I think they
call it the Shrewsbury Quest.  One thing that the book explains which I
like is that the amount of herbs they needed to grow wouldn't fit in the
size garden we have now.
They also explained about the possibility that the small enclosed herb
garden was the growers protected plants, the exotic, carefully cultivated
varieties or the poisonous plants that meant to be kept away from
others.... The book basically makes me want to go visit Shrewsbury.
Clare