HERB - Re: sources and names

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Fri May 8 14:25:43 PDT 1998

>> Does anyone have a copy of or has anyone read:
>>
>> "Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden: An Illustrated Companion
>> to Medieval Plants and Their Uses" by Robin Whiteman, Rob
>> Talbot, Ellis 'Brother Cadfael chronicles' Peters
>>
>> If you have, how accurate is the information? Do you like
>> the book? Do you find it useful or simply good to have
>> handy on the shelf? Anything truly aweful about it?
>>
>> Just curious. :)
>
>I have this book both because I like Brother Cadfael books and love
>herbals. The book is very attractive to look at with colour
>photographs, very specky. The information in it is fairly good
>although limited.

My thoughts exactly. I have this book, but don't consider it a primary
reference for herbal information. It makes a great coffee table book. I
recommend the Brother Cadfael series of mysteries. 12th c monastic setting,
with the main character a herbalist and healer.

>If you like as an example I could type I plant entry in and send it
>to the list when I get home after dance practice tonight. And do a
>proper review. (I had a very stressful morning and apologise for any
>incoherance).

Sounds like you could use some Valerian :-)

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net