HERB - zodiac signs/was Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 11 15:38:23 PDT 1998

>For those of you who haven't thought about it:  Period science used
>astrology, Ptolomy's four elements, and Christian theology (doctrine of
>signatures) to organize their thinking about plants (and everything
>else) (speaking for the main tradition of European science).  Modern
>science doesn't use any of those, and I presume modern occult practices
>are not just repeating Medieval teachings.  Thus, a modern source not
>focused on teaching about the Middle Ages could and should rearrange the
>material to make it consistent with its science.  If anyone can give me
>a formula for sorting out the modern from the Medieval, that'd be a
>great help. :-)

	Do you know if the Medieval Health Handbook used moderns sources to
document their use of humours and astologicals signs.  I have the book at
home and I can't tell more specifics.  The modern book is a collection of
illuminations from various books based on Tacitus (I think). Each
translation includes whether the material is cold, wet, hot, dry, etc.  if
you are interested I can post the name and such when I get home. I think
that it's from a period non-Culpepper source.

Clare