HERB - The Medieval Health Handbook

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon May 11 10:15:24 PDT 1998

>	Do you know if the Medieval Health Handbook used moderns
>sources to document their use of humours and astologicals signs.  I have
the book at home and I can't tell more specifics. <snip>
I'm at home, and it is one of the 5 closest books to my computer!  Here's
the poop...

"The Medieval Health Handbook - *Tacuinum Sanitatis*  - Commentaries
translated from the Original Latin Texts"
Published by Geroge Braziller, Inc, NY.  1975 - translated  by Oscar
Ratti and Adele Westbrook from the original Italian edition: Luisa
Cogliati Arano,* Tacuinum Sanitatis*, Electa Editrice, Milan.

(From the dust jacket) "The Illuminated Manuscripts known as Tacuinum
Sanitatis (in one case, Theatrum Sanitatis) were medieval handbooks of
the late 1300's and early 1400's which illustrated and explained the
effects of foods, winds, waters, seasons, and even human emotions upon a
person's health.  These pages have been reproduced from four of the most
important Tacuina, those in Vienna, Paris, Rouen, and Liege, as well as
the Theatrum Santitatis in the Casanatense Library in Rome...."

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies