HERB - Mint

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Mon May 11 13:44:46 PDT 1998

>Ok. You have mentioned tea. Is there one that is really good for the
>stomach. Like acid, upset, gas.

Peppermint is good for gas and upset stomach. Relaxes the lower esophageal
sphincter and lets you belch easier. This, however, can also make acid
reflux worse.

>I use to drink reg. tea but it started
>upsetting my stomach. Could one of these herbal ones be better and maybe
>more mild? Have to stay off coffee to but the colas are fine. Weird huh!?

Not really. Caffeine in coffee is usually at least twice what's in colas.
Off the top of my head, Coke is 50 mg per 12 oz can. Mountain Dew (which
has a terrible reputation as a high-caffeine drink) is only 65. Typical
coffee is 120 on up (depending on how it is brewed). As an avid Mountain
Dew drinker, I need these figures for self-defense! :-)

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net