HERB - Re:tummy/Sea-Bands

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Tue May 12 13:43:08 PDT 1998

>Off topic question... do those Sea-Band thingys really work? I've had
>probs with a balance disorder for years and motion sickness is a
>"constant", meaning on some days I am nauseous just walking around...
>haven't been able to eat in a restaurant in 15 years because it means
>getting in the car to drive home afterwards. The ginger is no help, as
>*it* makes me even sicker. I've seen the gizmos in the drugstore, but
>have been hesitant to but before hearing from anyone who's actaully used
>them.
>    I hope this isn't offensive to anyone on the list... just *had* to
>ask. Private replies to ceridwen at commnections.com please.

I have had a good number of patients use them with good luck. It does not
help everyone, but no remedy does. There have been studies that have been
done on sea-sickness where they have people wear the sea-bands, no bands,
plain elastic bands, and bands with the knobbie in the wrong place. The
sea-bands were significantly better than all the others, i.e., they work.
At ~$7 a pair, I think it is certainly worth a shot.

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net