HERB - Mint

Sigrid PW SigridPW at aol.com
Tue May 12 20:54:18 PDT 1998

Evaine wrote:

>Mint sounds like the perfect plant for part of my yard. How tall does it
grow?

About a foot or more tall

>How do you plant it?

>From seed, or from seedlings.  You can try cuttings, too, if you know someone
getting rid of the stuff

>Does it need any special care?

No.  It grows to spite you.  That's its chief goal in its miserably long and
productive life.

>Is it compatible with maple trees and Indiana winters?

It will live through anything.  Nothing can kill it.  Earlier in this
discussion, we were discussing the merits of napalm against it.

>In the contest between mint and weeds, who usually wins? (I hate pulling
weeds)

Mint.  For the same reason you can't kill Bermuda grass.  Every joint puts
down roots if it gets anywhere near the ground, or water for that matter.  I
"killed" one plant by not watering it and leaving it in the shade, but in the
heat.  I live in Southern California (read desert).  It eventually dried up.
I mean dry.  Snapped what was left of the stem right off to the ground.  3
months later when it rained for a few days, I'll be damned if the "dead" plant
wasn't putting up a couple of leaves!
This "dead" plant is now 14" tall and fills a 10 gallon container.

Whatever you do, DON'T plant it in your yard.  Plant it in a container in the
ground.  If you put it in your yard, it will never go away!  Never, never,
never!!!  Don't put it where it can spread.  It will take over EVERYTHING!
Trust me, I know!

It is a lovely container plant, but, seriously, don't put it where it can get
loose, or nothing else will grow.  Ever.

Have fun!

Sigrid Pigwoman
aka Madeleine de la Chatte Enfumee