HERB - Arsenic question

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Wed May 13 11:17:41 PDT 1998

Carl and/or Anne Adamczyk asked:
>Has anybody heard of the use of arsenic in pressure treating wood for use
>in outdoor structures such as decks, gazebos, porches etc. about 15 years
>ago?

Just in case anyone hasn't read into this (lord knows why I have;
probably because of gardening and such), the Environmental Protection
Agency has officially released a questions and answers doc that may
be a place to start looking concerning the use of arsenic in
womanized wood used in gardens or playground equipment:

http://www.epa.gov/oppfead1/cb/csb_page/qsas/1file.htm

The Hickson Corporation has also collected some of the studies
done on the subject and to which the EPA refers. You can also
access these online at:

http://www.hickson.com/safe.html

Obligatory period reference: there's an excellent article on
period poisons written by The Viking Answer Lady (aka Gunnora
Hallakarva) which can be view on Stefan's Florilegium, a collection
of articles and posts from The Rialto as selected by Lord
Stefan li Rous:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/poisons-art.html

Jasmine "I can find an online reference for anything" Cordoba :)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com