HERB - Menstrual Cramps -- the disertation

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu May 14 13:53:44 PDT 1998

Katherine kindly wrote:
>[with a lot of neat info deleted throughout]
>
>I have gotten good results with a couple OTC preparations [...]
>which contained ginger & Dong Quai. [....] I have also used a
>tincture [...] that contains red raspberry, Dong Quai, & ginger.

In the section on premenstrual syndome in "Prescription for Nutritional
Healing" (Balch & Balch, 1990, 1st ed.) it says pretty much what you
said above. However, one thing is curious to me that they say, which
you don't mention and I can't puzzle it out. The book says:

  "Siberian ginseng effectively alleviates premenstrual symptoms;
   however, do not use if you are hypoglycemic."

Can anyone explain to me as to why this is? The only things I can
find are that Syberian ginseng is used to treat diabetes and that
it contains a lot of starch as one of the major constituents.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Chinese herbals mention
ginseng at all?

>One of the Cohoshes is supposed to be effective also, although
>theses should be used with caution & I haven't tried them myself.
>(Again, I've more information at home.)

I have, but only in tinctures similar to those you listed above as only
as obtained in a standardized preparation. Works wonders, for me
and it is blue cohosh in my mix (uhm, Caulophyllum thalictroides(L)
I think is the botanical, but don't quote me on it).

>I realize much of this post was very "non-herbal", and I apologize if I
>have offended anyone, but I feel that this information is important to many
>women...

Well, it's important to me. And you did talk about herbs. Granted,
no real SCA refs, but I'm sure we can swing the conversation
that way at some point. I can start, if you'd like. :)

Was this one of those verbotten subjects in the middle ages or do we
have documents that talk about it? Maybe the works of St. Hildegard von
Bingen, perhaps? She seems to have been pretty progressive, but I'm
very unfamiliar with her work. The best I can think of to look for
in my medieval (and earlier) sources are "female troubles" and that
doesn't seem to be all that fruitful.
Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem nulli placet,
memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci." -- Hroswitha of Gandersheim