HERB - Menstrual Cramps -- the disertation

khkeeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Thu May 14 14:48:50 PDT 1998

Gaylin Walli wrote:
> Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Chinese herbals mention
> ginseng at all?
Yes, I think so. My husband is a licensed acupuncturist and I think he
said they know it but have a lot of herbs that are preferred over it.

> Was this one of those verbotten subjects in the middle ages
Dioscorides is long on remedies for inducing menstruation or stopping
it, or halting labor or inducing labor, or expelling the afterbirth,
etc.  I think there's a lot in Macer too.  But yes, the Medieval Health
Handbook doesn't seem to have much.  Is that because it was written (the
pretty copies) for the layperson and not the medical professional?
Frequently we get Culpeper and Gerard in condensed editions--perhaps its
something modern editors prefer to delete?
Agnes

Mistress Agnes deLanvallei, O.L., Mag Mor, Calontir
- promoting the study and safe re-creation of the uses of plants in the
Middle Ages.
kkeeler1 at unl.edu