HERB - Vitex

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Fri May 15 12:51:27 PDT 1998

>  	Raspberry life has traditionally been as a uterine toner....It
> strengthens the muscles and is a good tonic.  One of the newer plants
that
> actually isn't new if the Lavender Chaste Tree, Vitex agnus-castus (sp)
> (no books right now)  I have some info at home which since I'm going that
> way early today, I can look up.  It's also considered a woman's herb

Vitex, aka Monks' berry, aka Chasteberry, is an _excellent_ hormonal
regulator for women.  I've known women who were coming of artificial
hormone-regulation (i.e., "The Pill") who used this to get their cycles
back to "normal".

plus
> it's easy to find in nurseries if you want to try growing it.  It's a
very
> lovely tree, with tiny spires of lavender flowers, and when you crush the
> leaves they smell like camphor, kinda herby medicinal.  It's drought
> tolerate and makes a nice understory tree.

I didn't realize how "grow-able" it was.  Cool! :-)

I read somewhere that the nuns