HERB - Period Flower Arranging

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon May 18 20:33:22 PDT 1998

Unto the Gentle that was inquiring about period flower arrangement:
I just got back from a booksale, and I picked up a book called, wait for
it:
	"Flower Arrangement for Period Decoration" by Marian Klamkin
	published by Avenel Books, New York, in 1968.
In it, she covers , among other chapters: Historical Periods in
Decoration; The Gothic Period; The Renaissance and the Italian Influence
in Decoration; Spanish Influence on Furniture Design; The Elizabethan and
Jacobean Periods; and so on up through Modern, Japanese, etc. There are
pictures, and unfortunately this was the 60's, time of the great plastic
flowers, but the containers and presentations are pretty good.  She goes
into a lot of detail about studying the style of furniture and
architecture of the time, and using containers that are appropriate to
the style.  There is also a long bibilography in the back, which includes
many books about Furniture Styles and Antiques, Historical periods,
Museum pieces, and Interior Decoration.
	Hope this helps some, I think these are some good ways to go
about finding the looks you want.  Looking at paintings is of course the
best way.

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies