HERB - Avicenna

Gaylin Walli gjw1 at infoengine.com
Wed May 20 14:45:30 PDT 1998

Alysoun de Ros graciously typed in a bit of Avicenna's work
on the humours....thank you very much!

Just for my own edification, the original was actually written in
Hebrew, right? And then translated into Latin?

Here's the reason I ask. For my annotated master bibliography of
period herbals and related works, I'd really like to have the
works listed with their original names and popular name translations
(both title and author name translations).

I suspect that Avicenna's "Canon of Medicine" is the same as a
reference I found today, but only because the etymological roots
appear the same. I don't know Hebrew at all (imagine that) and I
also don't seem to have a reference for Avicenna's Hebrew name,
which  makes it a little more difficult. Mos tof the stuff I
find about him refers to Latin.

Here's the reference I found today at the Advanced Book Exchange
Inc. website (http://www.abebooks.com), an out-of-print and rare
book reseller:

  1. AVICENNA q LEAF [Leaf from "Kanon Hagadol"] Naples Azriel
  ben Joseph Ashkenazi Gunzenhauser 1491 [AVICENNA. Leaf from "Kanon
  Hagadol". Naples: 1491]. First edition in Hebrew. Small folio
  (202 x 275 mm). First work of medicine printed in Hebrew, & the only
  Hebrew medical work printed in the fifteenth century. $1,250 Book#
  22840 US$ 1250. Please contact Heritage Book Shop, Inc. for more
  information about purchasing this book.

Aside from being hideously expensive, I would guess this info to be
close to correct, right?. But what's the "Hagadol" in the original Hebrew
mean? Is there a direct translation into English? The Shabbat Hagadol
is the Sabbath before Passover, right? That's the only other reference
I know of to the word, my knowledge of Judaism is woefully inadequate
to the task, and my dictionary is singularly unhelpful in giving me
any more information to translate from.

Anyone know Hebrew? Beuhler? :) Sorry to bother y'all with geeky
questions like this....

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
g.walli at infoengine.com or jasmine at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim