Weight loss (was:Re: HERB - yohimbe)

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 12:15:44 PDT 1998

>Why is it that so many of us (especially in the SCA) need to lose so
much
>weight?  I wouldn't mind dropping 100 lbs. or so myself.  I have spent
>most of my life on diets, alternating with "body self acceptance"
>therapy.  God and I both love me as I am, but for my health's sake I
>really need to lose.

I was at Ansteorra's Kingdom Dance and Music Symposium this weekend, and
was thinking about similar things during the feast. I was looking at the
foods that were served, and I realized just how high in calories it all
was. Fortunately, I'd spent the day dancing, so I wasn't too worried
about weight gain.

Society puts a lot of pressure on women to acheive and maintain "model
weight", despite how unnatural that is. Some of those women don't have
enough body fat to maintain a healthy menstrual cycle!!

>Now I just try to eat "healthy" (whatever that means).  Celestial
>Seasonings and Stash teas have gotten me off Coca-Cola, though.
>I haven't lost much weight yet, but figure it saves me around  1000 to
1500
>calories a week over the sugared sodas.

Healthy is the way to go! I try to not think about my weight so much as
how I feel. I try very hard to stop myself when I catch myself thinking
"I'm fat and flabby" type thoughts. I'll take a few seconds to tell
myself "I am NOT fat! I may be a little flabby, but that's something I
can fix with a little exercise if I want to."

One word of caution - be careful about what you sweeten your teas with.
Aspartame can sometimes increase your appetite. But compared to the
alternative, I'll take the aspartame!

Catriona Rowley