HERB - Distilling oils

Lee & Tanya Allen tlallen at televar.com
Fri May 22 09:20:55 PDT 1998

Katherine,
I was afraid someone was going to ask me how I was planning on distilling my
own oils!! ;>0
One method of extracting oils(from "An Illustrated Guide to Herbs" by Ann
Kruger)known as maceration, can be done with confidence at home.  The
resulting oils will not be as pure or concentrated as professionally
prepared oils.
Take the following: 1/2 l (1 pt) sweet almond oil; 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar' 1
heaped handful of your chosen fresh herb, large preserving jar, sterilized.
Rub the herb in a mortar with a pestle, and put into the preserving jar.
Pour in the oil and vinegar.  Make sure that the jar is not full as you will
need to shake the mixture daily.  Put the jar in a warm, sunny window and
shake vigorously every day for at least a month.  Strain through a nylon
sieve and bottle in a clean, dark, glass jar.  If  the oil is not strong
enough,, repeat the process using the same batch of oil but a fresh supply
of herbs.
Hope this helps!
Yours in Service,
Fiona ni Chonchuir
Three things you will never hear a Celt say- Does this clash?  Is this too
much jewelry?  Is that my beer?