HERB - Distilling oils

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 22 10:41:11 PDT 1998

Fiona said:
>Take the following: 1/2 l (1 pt) sweet almond oil; 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar' 1
>heaped handful of your chosen fresh herb, large preserving jar, sterilized.
>Rub the herb in a mortar with a pestle, and put into the preserving jar.
>Pour in the oil and vinegar.  Make sure that the jar is not full as you will
>need to shake the mixture daily.  Put the jar in a warm, sunny window and
>shake vigorously every day for at least a month.  Strain through a nylon
>sieve and bottle in a clean, dark, glass jar.  If  the oil is not strong
>enough,, repeat the process using the same batch of oil but a fresh supply
>of herbs.

Make sure that the bottle of oil and herbs are not in direct sunlight for
long periods of time.....Also with flowers I have found that you can remove
the spent blloms and put in new blooms to make it stronger.

You can distill at home using a glass Mr. Coffee urn, some tubings and
silicon glue.  I've done this and while you can't do large amounts, It does
work. I mad Queen of Hungary water this way......

Clare