HERB - RECIPE: Boom Boom Tummy Cordial (long)

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu Nov 5 12:37:19 PST 1998

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa spoke thusly:

>Mm... This sounds delicious. I'm looking forward to trying it...

:) Oh goody! Let me know when you finish. I'd love to hear how
it turned out.

>in re: funnels & cordials:
>When I've made cordials, I found that a canning funnel (made of glass,
>looks like a funny teacup with a wide opening in the bottom to fit into a
>canning jar) is invaluable. You can even use it for straining if you put a
>cone-shaped coffee filter inside it before pouring.

I've tried this before with mixed results. You need to find the
right sized jar opening for your purposes or the canning funnel
most people use will be too small. That is, it will slip through
the jar opening and you'll need to fish it out. Learned this one
the hard way.

Also, the coffee filters. I've found they simply don't work in the
canning funnels because they slip through when they get wet even
if you have the cone-shaped kind and even if you have the right
jar opening. I've also found that coffee filters seem to clog
faster with the spices when the sugar syrup is mixed in the solution.
That's why I suggested filtering once through fine mesh and another
time through filters. My favorite filter of all time is a brewing
filter. But it's large enough that I always need an extra set of
hands to hold it while I pour the liquid.

>I've also found useful a canning-jar sized mini strainer--

I've used these too. With great success if the jar opening is
small enough and you pour slowly. Typically, though, the strainer
is too small for the jar or the straining holes are too large
for my purposes and I get bits of spice in the cordial.

I've just recently received as a gift a very nice larger fine
mesh strainer for cooking. I'm sure it was original intended
for other purposes, but I'm dying to try it with the cordial
because the holes look small enough.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure they'll help people!

Jasmine